NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Contest may only be entered in or from the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. This Contest is governed exclusively by the laws of the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the United States.
1. Eligibility. Participation open only to legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are full-time (i.e. typically scheduled to work 35 or more hours per week) employees of a retail book store who work at a physical book store location in one of the fifty United States or District of Columbia who are at least 18 years old or have reached the age of majority in their state of residence as of date of entry. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees, officers and directors of Simon & Schuster (“Sponsor”) and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Contest materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you are not located within the United States or the District of Columbia. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
2. Start/End Dates. Contest begins at 12:01 AM on May 23, 2017 and ends at 11:59 PM on June 30, 2017.
3. How to Enter.The entry period for the Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) on May 23, 2017 and continues through 11:59 p.m. ET on June 30, 2017 (the “Entry Period”). Each entrant must obtain the permission of the entrant’s employer for the entrant’s completion and display in the book store of The Lord of Shadows Bookseller Display (as defined below). Do not submit an entry unless you have obtained permission from your employer. To enter follow these Steps outlined in sections (i) – (iv): (i) during the Entry Period, feature The Lord of Shadows along with any other Cassandra Clare novels in a display in your store window, on a tabletop, or on a wall, etc; (ii) The Lord of Shadows Bookseller Display must be publicly displayed in the book store in which you are employed for at least seven (7) days between May 23, 2017 and June 30, 2017 (the “Display Period”); (iii) You must attach to an email a minimum of one (1) and a maximum of four (4) color photographs of your Lord of Shadows display to firstname.lastname@example.org with LOS Display in the subject line; (iv) You must post a photo of your Lord of Shadows Bookseller Display on Twitter or Instagram and tag @SimonTeen #LOSdisplay during the Entry Period. You must follow all Steps to be entered in the Contest. Each Photograph submitted must be in .JPEG, .GIF or .PNG file format. During the Entry Period, you have the option to request and receive a Lord of Shadows merchandising easel from Sponsor, by sending an email to Shadowhunters@simonandschuster.com that contains your full name, residence address and telephone number, the name and address of the book store in which you are employed, the name of your manager or supervisor and the telephone number of the manager or supervisor. Emails that are sent to any address other than Shadowhunters@simonandschuster.com, do not contain all of the required information or are not accompanied by at least one Photograph will not constitute complete entries. Sponsor has the right to require verification in a form satisfactory to Sponsor that an entrant’s Lord of Shadows display was on public display in the entrant’s book store for at least seven (7) days during the Display Period (which may include, without limitation, verification by the entrant’s manager or supervisor). There is a limit of one entry per person. Entry times will be determined using Sponsor’s computer, which will be the official clock for the Contest. Normal time rates, if any, charged by Internet service provider will apply.
All photographs submitted in the Contest (each collectively, an “Entry”) must show the in-store display during the Display Period. All displays submitted in the contest must a) be original and b) must have been created by the entrant. Photographs of Displays are collectively referred to as the “Entry.” Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entry that Sponsor determines does not comply with these guidelines. By submitting an Entry, each entrant certifies that the Entry complies fully with the foregoing guidelines.
All entrants must have a valid email address. Limit one (1) entry per person. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries, including Entries, become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, postage-due, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of entry will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
4. Judging/Judging Criteria. Judges reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Entries that are inappropriate for any reason. All Entries will be judged by a panel of judges that have the required knowledge and experience to apply the judging criteria. All Entries will be judged based on the following equally-weighted judging criteria: (a) 25% originality; (b) 25% relevance to the World of Shadow Hunters; (c) 25% creativity; and d) 25% enthusiasm. Subject to verification and compliance with these Official Rules, the highest scoring Entry will be awarded the Grand Prize. By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
5. Prizes. One (1) Grand Prize(s): One Grand Prize will be offered. The Grand Prize is a visit by Cassandra Clare to entrant’s bookstore, including a Q&A with the Author at a time to be determined subject to the author’s availability before June 18, 2018. The date, time and location of the visit and all other relevant details will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Total approximate retail value of prize: $2,500.00. Prize(s) is/are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of [any] prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. All unspecified expenses are the responsibility of winner(s).
6. Notification. Winners will be notified on or about August 1, 2017 by email and will be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or rights transfer document within seven (7) days of prize notification. Additionally, winners may be required to obtain releases from any and all third parties appearing in their respective Entries. If any winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity and rights transfer document must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian. If any winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the Entry with the next highest score. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
7. Conditions. Sponsor shall not be liable or responsible in the event [any] winner’s Entry is not used for any reason. Entries may be cut, edited, reformatted, rearranged, combined with other materials and/or otherwise modified, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Any and all federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Contest and acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Entry and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its partners and promotion and advertising agencies and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, the “Released Entities”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if [any] prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
8. Additional Terms. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth in Section 3 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. The Released Entities are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Sponsor may select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9. Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties. IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND/OR THE CONTEST, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATES WITH THE CONTEST. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RELEASED ENTITIES’ TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED $100. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
10. Disputes; Governing Law. The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of New York, City of New York.
THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of New York in the State of New York. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
12. List of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by August 15, 2017 to: Jessica Harold, Simon & Schuster Children’s, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10020.
13. Sponsor. Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020.
THIS CONTEST IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH OR ENDORSED BY TWITTER OR INSTAGRAM. YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR INFORMATION TO SPONSOR.